The Grand Canalscape project will create a nearly 12-mile continuous trail system along the Grand Canal from 1-17 to the Phoenix/Tempe border and is part of a larger regional trail and crossing project, which will ultimately result in a continuous trail along the Grand Canal between Glendale and Tempe.The vision for the Canalscape project originated with Arizona Forward, a local organization. The Canalscape vision was further supported by the ReinventPHX community outreach effort in which residents voiced strong support for canal bank improvements along the Grand Canal.
Grand Canalscape Project Goals:
- Develop a safe, convenient route for bicycle and pedestrian traffic along the bank of the Grand Canal including improved crossings where streets intersect with the canal.
- Re-integrate the canal into surrounding neighborhoods through landscaping enhancements and neighborhood access points to the path providing better visibility, and ultimately appreciation of the canal system in Phoenix.
- 15th Avenue to 16th Street
- 36th Street to 40th Street
Design / ImprovementsPhase I will enhance the Grand Canal from approximately 15th Avenue to 16th Street and Indian School Road (Uptown Area) and near 36th Street terminating at 40th Street (Gateway North). For the Uptown Area, the improvements include a multi-use commuter path along the north bank, pedestrian lighting, landscaping, public art elements, neighborhood links to local streets, and signalized trail crossings at Seventh Avenue, Central Avenue, and Seventh Street. For Gateway North, a neighborhood path is proposed primarily along the south bank with neighborhood links to the local streets and minor public art elements along the pathway.
- Construction Starting - September 2017
- Expected Completion – Summer 2019
FundingPhase I is funded by the City of Phoenix and Salt River Project under the Municipal Aesthetics Program.
- I-17 to 15th Avenue
- 16th Street to 36th Street
- 40th Street to the Phoenix/Tempe border at 56th Street
Design / ImprovementsDesign of Phase II of the Grand Canalscape project is now underway. The project is composed of three segments located along the Grand Canal alignment: Segment One from I-17 to 15th Avenue, Segment Two from 16th Street to 36th Street, and Segment Three, from 40th Street to the Phoenix/Tempe border at 56th Street. The combined segments of Grand Canalscape Phase II total nearly eight miles of trail which will connect to the trail system developed in Phase I, creating a continuous multimodal trail from I-17 to the Phoenix/Tempe border at 56th Street. The Grand Canalscape Phase II project improvements will include a hard surface trail along the north bank of the Grand canal, dusk-to-dawn lighting, neighborhood connections at some local streets, and signalized crossings where streets intersect with the canal.
- Construction Starting April 2018
- Expected Completion Fall 2019